Glaucoma - Drug Pipeline Analysis And Market Forecasts To 2016 - New Market Report Published
New report provides detailed analysis of the General market
Published on April 09, 2010
by Press Office
(Companiesandmarkets.com and OfficialWire)
Glaucoma - Drug Pipeline Analysis and Market Forecasts to 2016 is an essential source of information and analysis on the global Glaucoma market. The report identifies the key trends shaping and driving the market, and provides insight on the prevalent competitive landscape and the emerging players expected to bring a significant shift in the market positioning of the existing market leaders. Most importantly, the report provides valuable insight on the pipeline products within the global glaucoma market.
The Glaucoma Market Is Forecast to Show a Decline in Growth Rate Due to a String of Patent Expiries
The glaucoma market is predicted to witness major revenue depletion over the next few years due to a string of patent expiries. Pfizer's Xalatan (latanoprost) is the most prescribed drug for the treatment of glaucoma. However, in January 2010, Xalatan accounted for about 27% of the total US prescription share for glaucoma, compared to 30% of the US prescription share in the previous year. GlobalData's analysis suggests that although generics of Xalatan are expected to enter the market by 2010, the impact on sales will only be felt during or after 2011. In addition, in January 2010, Cosopt (marketed by Merck) accounted for only 0.8% of the total US prescription glaucoma market, compared to 10% in October 2008 due to the launch of generics. Thus a drop in prescription share for products in the US markets would result in a major drop in its global revenues as the US markets generate maximum shares for prescription medicines.
Glaucoma Market is Expected to Witness Entry of Me-Too's and Product Extensions in the Near Future
The glaucoma market will be subjected to generic erosion which could impact overall market revenues despite the increase in disease prevalence and treatment seeking rates. The interesting fact to note is that products which are expected to enter the market are either me-too's or product extensions which will not bring about a significant improvement in terms of safety and efficacy. Therefore, the only governing factor which would drive the market would be the cost of the product. As a result generics are predicted to govern the market for glaucoma drugs over the next few years. The Compounded Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) for 2001 to 2009 was 3.8% and is expected to nose dive to a negative CAGR between 2009 and 2016 because of the possible impact of generics entering the market.
Major Players Eyeing US market to gain Regulatory Approval
The report analyzes the current market players and their major marketing activities for product launches and promotions across global geographies. Merck's Saflutan, which was originally acquired from Santen Pharmaceuticals in Japan has gained approval in Europe and is currently being studied for approval in the US. In April 2006, Extravan/ DuoTrav from Alcon also received approval from the European Medicines Agency (EMEA). The approval of Extravan (a combination of Travatan and timolol) in the EU was expected, since the EMEA demonstrates a more lenient view of combination products compared to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). However, the management at Alcon has declared it is not to perform any additional trials and will continue to analyze the data from previous trial results for a re-filing. GlobalData's analysis suggests that the FDA's relative reluctance to approve combination therapies will make it difficult for these products to enter the US market. However, an increasing number of players in the ophthalmic market are aggressively planning strategies to cash in on the untapped US and Japanese markets and this trend is likely to continue over the next few years.
The report provides information on the key drivers and challenges of the global glaucoma market. Its scope includes:
- Annualized global glaucoma therapeutics market revenues data from 2001 to 2009, forecast forward for seven years to 2016.
- Geographies covered in this report include the US, the UK, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, and Japan.
- Pipeline analysis data providing an overview of different phases, mechanisms of action being developed, and emerging trends. Key classes of mechanism of action include Calcium agonists, Rho kinase inhibitors and various combination therapies. In addition to this, RNA-interference, Non-Specific Endothelin-A Receptor Blockers and Adenosine HA3-antagonists are also being studied for the possible use in glaucoma patients.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global glaucoma therapeutics market. Key market players covered include Merck and Santen Pharmaceuticals, NicOx and Bausch and Lomb
- Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, and the implications for the future market associated with glaucoma.
Reasons to buy
The report will enhance your decision making capability in a more rapid and time sensitive manner. It will allow you to:
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through review of pipeline products and technologies and by identifying companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global glaucoma market.
- Drive revenues by understanding key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments and companies likely to impact the global glaucoma market in future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolio and create effective counter-strategies to gain competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
- What's the next big thing in the global glaucoma market landscape? - Identify, understand and capitalize.
Glaucoma - Drug Pipeline Analysis and Market Forecasts to 2016: http://www.companiesandmarkets.com/r.ashx?id=18P1571S0278125&prk=37f70e58a345968d9d224b377d254981
Tel: +44 (0) 2030868600